A guided walk of the Alderbury area will reward the walker with views of the remains of an ancient priory founded in the mid 12thC and a parish church which was once a “Royal Peculiar”. Near by stands the house built with stone from the demolished bell tower of Salisbury Cathedral.
Parts of the route followed by the late 18thC “Bankrupt Canal” can still be seen and the story of its failure explained. This was not the first attempt to link Salisbury to the sea by water and the earlier Navigation also ran through the parish over looked by Longford Castle which was garrisoned by the Royalists but surrendered to Cromwell in autumn of 1645
The stories of a family of local musicians who changed the image of the Salvation Army worldwide and the house built by the well known 19thC Gothic architect, Augustus Pugin, for his own use; make Alderbury of interest to visitors from further afield. Pugin is best known for his work on the rebuilding of the Palace of Westminster, London.